In 1953, construction began on the Australasian Petroleum Refinery in Kwinana.
The size of the project demanded a workforce of over 400 men, but the relative isolation of the site made transporting labourers in and out of the area a significant challenge.
Some men undertook a 40 minute bus ride to Perth and back, but in order to increase efficiency Kellogg International Corporation, the company overseeing refinery construction, contracted a worker’s camp to be built near the intersection of Thomas and Rockingham Roads.
The cottage’s were for single men only, and consisted of 20 dormitories, dining hall, kitchen, ablution block and store room.
Once contruction on the refinery was complete, the worker’s camp was demolished and men relocated to state houses in Medina or offered contracts elsewhere.