Early in January, 1955, Dr. Roe, Superintendent of Fremantle Hospital, advised that the existing facilities at Fremantle could not meet the normal hospital needs of the 10,000 residents in Rockingham and Kwinana districts. Kwinana alone had 150 maternity cases in the preceding year and the lack of medical facilities became an issue pursued by the Medina Residents’ Association. At first it appeared that the government was negotiating purchased of the Kellogg Company’s temporary construction offices, however in May it was announced that those quarters would be unsuitable and that a ten-bed maternity hospital would be built at what is now 35 Kenton Way, Calista.
The Medina Maternity Hospital was officially opened on 9 December 1955 by the Minister for Health, Hon. E. Nulsen, MLA. After the hospital was declared open visitors were invited to inspect the wards and nurses quarters. The hospital consisted of four wards, one with four beds, two with two beds and two with one bed. The nurses quarters were placed in a house nearby. The hospital was initially under the care of Matron Enright and Sister Enright, the first two babies to be born there feature in the news article below.
The building is now utilised by Communicare, as a Centre for Men’s Well-being.