East Rockingham

The east Rockingham area was the site of the original town of Rockingham from about 1830. The town derived its name from the ship Rockingham which was blown ashore in May 1830 opposite the present day Governor Road. The original settlement was established just over three kilometres inland at what became East Rockingham and today is the border between Rockingham and Kwinana. Peel sent a … Continue reading East Rockingham

East Rockingham School -an impressive early building

Long before Kwinana was planned, a limestone block school was built in 1865 in what was then known as East Rockingham and which later became Kwinana. It stood on the north east junction of Mandurah Road and Wellard Road and consisted of one school room and one room for the teacher’s quarters. On Sundays Tom Smirk, a ticket of leave man, also used the school … Continue reading East Rockingham School -an impressive early building