Hooray for Spring! The days are getting warmer and although it may still seem like summer is a long way away, it might be a good time of year to start thinking about whether our properties are bush fire ready. In the 1950s, as the population of Kwinana continued to grow, there was considerable public concern that the new town, surrounded as it was by bushland, … Continue reading Our Everyday Heroes – The Kwinana Volunteer Fire Brigade
By 1955, the suburbs of Kwinana were home to over 4,500 people and the local Road Board (the governing body at the time) decided it was time their community had a Library. However only half the amount of money needed to build a library was available, so a public donation drive was needed to raise the rest of the funds. Generous donations from the … Continue reading Kwinana Library Turns 60!
In 1951 Margaret Feilman began a long association with the Western Australian State Housing Commission where she had been given a four-year cadetship allowing her to qualify as an architect. After travelling and gaining experience both interstate and overseas, including gaining post-graduate qualifications in town and country planning at the University of Durham, Margaret opened her own practice as a town planning consultant and architect. … Continue reading Margaret Feilman (22 June 1921 –24 September 2013)
Kwinana Public Library opened in July 1956 in the Pace Road shopping centre. Amazingly, it was to remain at the same address for the next forty years (until July 1996) at which time the impossibility of this small Library to provide for a growing community was clear to all! Finally, in December 1996, a move was made to larger premises at the Kwinana Hub shopping … Continue reading The Library From Pace Road to Darius Wells
The Kwinana Road District was established in 1953 by severing the northern part of the Rockingham Shire (Kwinana Road District Act 1953). A new township was needed to house the proposed BP Refinery as well as its workers. Harry McGuigan was appointed the first Commissioner of the Kwinana Road Board from 1954-1956, which was then extended for two years until December 1958. On 11th of February 1961 … Continue reading From Road Board to City
While the contractors worked on the steel towers and tanks near Cockburn Sound, a new town was emerging just a couple of kilometres away. BP Refinery (Kwinana) Ltd employed around 750 people. They and their families were to live, for the most part, in the township of Medina, which was built by the State Housing Commission. The State Government had committed to providing 1,000 homes … Continue reading Building a town