Memories of Kwinana Beach

Voices of Kwinana is always looking for personal memories to add to our collection. Today’s post is courtesy of Lyn Bayley nee Fletcher. We lived at 3 First Ave, Kwinana Beach in the 50s 60s 70s.  My nana and pop use to live with us, there was mum, dad and 5 kids, plus my aunty and cousin lived with us  – all in the one … Continue reading Memories of Kwinana Beach

East Rockingham

The east Rockingham area was the site of the original town of Rockingham from about 1830. The town derived its name from the ship Rockingham which was blown ashore in May 1830 opposite the present day Governor Road. The original settlement was established just over three kilometres inland at what became East Rockingham and today is the border between Rockingham and Kwinana. Peel sent a … Continue reading East Rockingham

Naval Base and Henderson – Naval Defence Plans Remain Only in The Suburb Names

Naval Base, a suburb of Kwinana, and its neighbour, Henderson, a suburb of Cockburn, were both born of a perceived need to provide naval defence for Australia in the west. During the 19th century, the British Admiralty preferred the colonies and dominions to contribute financially and with crews to the Empire’s naval defence, but from the beginning of the 20th century Australians started to push … Continue reading Naval Base and Henderson – Naval Defence Plans Remain Only in The Suburb Names

East Rockingham School -an impressive early building

Long before Kwinana was planned, a limestone block school was built in 1865 in what was then known as East Rockingham and which later became Kwinana. It stood on the north east junction of Mandurah Road and Wellard Road and consisted of one school room and one room for the teacher’s quarters. On Sundays Tom Smirk, a ticket of leave man, also used the school … Continue reading East Rockingham School -an impressive early building

Clarence Town

Clarence Town was a pioneer settlement of over 400 people established late December 1829 for Thomas Peel’s Land Settlement Scheme. The site was recommended by Governor Stirling as suitable for the landing of stores and perhaps for the establishment of a township. There has been debate as to the exact location of Clarence Town, but it is thought to have been at Mount Brown rather … Continue reading Clarence Town

Teashop in Esperance was once the Wellard Hospital

Wellard Hospital – it was realised early in the 1920s that there was a need for a local hospital for the growing town of Wellard, particularly for maternity facilities as there was nothing else available on the Peel Estate. The Anglican minister at Wellard, the Reverend Sherwin, campaigned with the Department of Health and received much community support. To raise the necessary funds which were … Continue reading Teashop in Esperance was once the Wellard Hospital

Wellard – once a group settlement township, now a suburb of Kwinana

The original town site of Wellard was established in 1923 as part of the post-First World War soldier and group settlement scheme (groups 50 and 54), the land having been transferred to the Crown in 1922 from a farmer and grazier Alexander Robert, known as Bob, Richardson who had purchased the land in 1898. It was situated on the south western side of what was … Continue reading Wellard – once a group settlement township, now a suburb of Kwinana

SS Kwinana – a sad end for a pretty maiden

In 1912 the West Australian Government bought the SS Darius for the north-west coastal run and renamed it Kwinana, an Aboriginal word meaning “pretty maiden”. On Christmas Day 1920, she was severely damaged by fire at Carnarvon, and a year later was brought to Fremantle, stripped, and towed to a mooring in Cockburn Sound. She was originally offered for sale, but no takers. Her fate was decided … Continue reading SS Kwinana – a sad end for a pretty maiden

Bus Station

The Kwinana Bus Station is located near the Kwinana Marketplace Shopping Centre, in Gilmore Avenue. There was previously a bus station located on the west side of Rockingham Road near the Thomas Road intersection. This was closed when the bus station moved to Gilmore Avenue which was extended to join Dixon Road in Rockingham in approximately 2000. The previous bus station has since been demolished. … Continue reading Bus Station

The Outdoor Swimming Pool became The Recquatic

The original outdoor swimming pool in Kwinana began construction in 1971 and was officially opened by Mayor Frank Baker on 4th March 1972. Its replacement, the Kwinana Recquatic, was finished in August 2002 with a selection of indoor heated pools, a supervised gym and cardio theatre as well as a diverse range of group fitness classes catering for all ages and levels. It also offers … Continue reading The Outdoor Swimming Pool became The Recquatic